August has been an interesting and stressful month for cybersecurity. HBO was hacked. One researcher that helped stop Wanna-Cry was arrested. Disney apps are listening in on kids. And a recent experiment shows that IoT devices are hit every two minutes.
However, it wasn’t all bad. 5thColumn launched our new network analysis tool, Interrogated. We were also named one of the fastest growing private companies in the country by Inc. Magazine.
Here is a brief list of key articles to get you caught up on August’s news:
- August 1, 2017: Amazon Echo Could Become an Attacker’s Listening Device
- August 3, 2017: HBO Cyberattack Driven by Mysterious Motives
- August 5, 2017: Wanna-Cry Hero Arrested on Kronos Malware Charges
- August 7, 2017: Senior US Official Claimed the FCC Got ‘Hacked’ After Security Professionals Found No Proof
- August 9, 2017: Disney Apps Spying On Kids? Company Allegedly Collected Children’s Data, Suit Says
- August 16, 2017: 5thColumn Ranks No. 1246 on the 2017 Inc. 5000
- August 24, 2017: The Moment of Truth: Chicago Startups on Landing Their First Big Deal
- August 29, 2017: IoT Device Hit by Credential Attack Every Two Minutes: Experiment
- August 30, 2017: How Spammers Hijack Abandoned URLs to Spread SEO Garbage Across the Internet